10 Things I wish I knew when I was 20



In honour of International Women's Day, I'm sharing the 10 Positive, Empowering and helpful things I wish I knew when I was 20. Because isn't life glorious in retrospect! 

#1 You’re not perfect, but no one else is either so don't worry

That's right lovelies, no ones perfect. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone has their own problems, you are not the only one. Stop putting pressure on yourself to be perfect. You don't need to be the perfect wife, the perfect mum, perfect friend. You just need to be the best that YOU can be. 


#2 There are more important things than what people think of you.

Now coming from me, this is a biggy. I still care what people think. I wish I didn't, but I just can't stomach it. My anxiety gets the best of me. But I am slowly accepting that not everyone is going to like me. That doesn't mean that I'm a bad person, or that there is something wrong with me. It just means that I'm not their cup or tea, but I will always be someone else's.


#3 You are a priority

Make yourself a priority, because you are one. Don't forget about yourself while you run around after your family or work. You shouldn't be the last on your list. That doesn't always mean make yourself first, but it definitely means your needs should be up there too. Mental, Physical, Spiritual. You are a priority, not a second thought.

#4 Children should not be your end game

I know, I know, children are little miracle angels who bring fairy dust to our lives. Hahaha, ok that was a bit of a stretch. Children can be evil gremlins when they want to be. Sometimes when our one and only plan was to be a mum, once that's accomplished, you feel a bit lost. 

It's like when you're reading a series and suddenly it's over. You don't know what to do with yourself, like a piece is suddenly missing. What's next in your life? 
Anything you want. You can be anything and anyone you want if you put your mind to it. So make sure to not shovel your eggs into one basket.



#5 Take care of your body

You'll be living in your body for a long time. If you take care of it, it'll take care of you. Things that are a must

- Skincare routine and sunscreen. You need to moisturise and protect that glorious skin. The more you do it, the less aged you'll look. Teach your kids.
- Exercise! Another one I still struggle with but is an absolute must. The earlier you start the better your body will be. Half an hour a day isn't a huge ask, but a little is better than nothing at all.
- Taking a mental break. Sit, read, meditate, listen to music that makes your soul happy *cough KPOP cough* Focus on what you want and need for at least 10 minutes. The longer the better though.


#6 Discovering yourself

Of course, you need to find who you are as a person, but that is not what I mean. I mean the naughty version! Flicking the bean, rubbing one out, girls night in, whatever you want to call it. Self-exploration is nothing to be ashamed of at all. 

 Personally, as long as you aren't overdoing it, I think of it as a healthy habit, because every woman should know herself in and out. Who better to judge your body changes, when you know your own body. Plus Orgasms. All those "happy" hormones. Need I say more.



#7 Save your biscuits

Money makes the world go round. Our lives shouldn't revolve around it, but it is required for general living. I wish I'd had a better understanding of savings and how to budget efficiently when I was younger, especially when there were two incomes coming in. Learning to budget and save once you have kids is a lot harder when you don't already grasp the basics. 

#8 Capsule Wardrobe

This is a new one by me. I wish someone had told me about this sooooo much earlier in life. My grandmother is not an advocate for this. The amount of clothes my children have is getting a bit crazy. 

The basic idea of a capsule wardrobe is to pick a style that you like and compliments your body type. Then you get a few basics in those styles that are interchangeable with each other. You save money by not buying extra clothes you'll never actually wear (the joy of impulse buying) and you save on the wardrobe clutter, which cuts back on stress. Pinterest the crap out of it, it'll give you loads of ideas.

And here's a tip for you ladies, that comes directly from my fashion assistant (AKA middle sister) who helps me pick my clothes normally.
"Just because you're a Mum, doesn't mean you have to dress like one."
Meaning you don't have to run around in mum jeans, stretched t-shirts and a mum bun, you are totally allowed to feel good about looking nice. 

#9 Its ok to say no

One of the big ones. You can say NO to anything you like. Besides paying bills and the law obviously. Don't let people use and abuse you, or guilt you into doing things. You will feel guilty if you're not used to saying it, but it will get easier. Saying No is good for your soul.  

#10 You are enough!

Even if you don't know any of these things. Even if you never went to uni or graduated high school. Even if you struggle to get up and dressed, or you're in baggy jeans and a singlet. Even if you haven't prepared fresh nutritious meals for your kids every day or ate toast for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You are enough. You are wonderful. You are brave. You are strong. You are and always will be enough, as long as you are trying.

Happy International Women's Day Ladies. You all deserve every happiness! 



Comments