It takes one small gesture.....



Its been a long week, not just here at The Molehill Mama, but for the City I live in and I have been working my ass off the last two days. Over the last week and a half, Townsville has been hit with devastating monsoonal rains, causing widespread flooding in the city, forcing families from their homes.


We've been lucky enough to not be affected, but many families have not been so lucky. A friend of mine and I have been working, with help from time to time from other mums passing through, organizing, bagging and helping families receive donations at our little local community group. 

Its been a hard slog, but its all been totally worth it. Its the very least we can do for our fellow neighbors. I've seen families of all shapes, sizes, ages, and demographics all coming from the same terrible circumstance. Homeless with no belongings. 

I've offered assistance, handed out bags, to make warm beverages but the most important and supportive thing I think I've handed out were hugs. One to a friend, and one to a woman I had never met. I could see it in her eyes, I could hear it in her voice when she asked if we had kids shoes, and the words just left me.
"The kids' shoes are just over there, but do you need a hug?" She leaned on me and cried, and I held her until she was ready to let go. 

If I've learned anything from my mental health issues, it's that we don't know what others are going through, and even if you do, it doesn't mean we'll understand the pain or heartbreak. We can only be there, with a supportive word, a hand, and a shoulder. 
We need to rise to the challenge of supporting one another Ladies. 
Be that support. Be that smile. Be that rainbow in the world.
Because sometimes only we know the heartache of a fellow mama in pain.

And because sometimes, a Mole just needs a hug. 

Remember, Love Yourself Moles! Ask for a hug if you need it.





Comments